It might come as a surprise, but dentures build up plaque and tartar just like natural teeth. Maintaining good oral health starts by ensuring your dentures are clean and fitting properly.
Regular denture care includes daily removal and brushing of the mouth, tongue, cheeks and palate. You should also check the denture for any broken or cracked areas.
- Dentures should be thoroughly cleaned everyday
- Soaking dentures in cleaning solution about 30 minutes before brushing will loosen tartar and plaque
- Brush dentures with a denture brush and liquid soap for foam denture cleaner.
- It is important you use non-abrasive products and materials to prevent scratching
- It is ideal to leave dentures out overnight if possible, or at least 1-2 hours per day minimum.
- This will let gums rest and help prevent denture stomatitis or inflammation
- Clean the cup you store your dentures in at least once a week
- Change denture brush on a yearly basis and denture cup as required
Labelling dentures is something many people likely don’t think about, until it’s too late. In situations where multiple people may have dentures, such as a long-term care facility, it is important for identifying dentures which could have been misplaced or mistaken during meals or while soaking.
Labelling can be done professionally, by either a denturist or at a dental office, or at home. Dental professionals will use an engraving tool and apply acrylic overtop to make it permanent. In addition, denture ID kits are also available.
For those interested in a do-it-yourself project, here’s what you’ll need:
- Spray disinfectant
- Emory board/nail file
- Indelible marker
- Clearacrylic nail polish
- Always wear gloves
- Clean and disinfect the denture
- Use an emery board to roughen the cheek side of the denture at the back
- Print the resident’s name on the area with a permanent marker and seal it with clear acrylic nail polish
- Once dry, clean and disinfect the denture again and rinse thoroughly with cool water
Content supplied by the Brushing Up on Mouth Care Program :